[Milton-L] Miltonia

Angelica Duran duran0 at exchange.purdue.edu
Tue Apr 10 15:08:22 EDT 2007

Yes, I know that Miltonia is only a haphazard homology.  But, bigger errors
in South America have been perpetuated because of homologies: for example,
the English "translation" of Capa de Hornos (Cape of the Ovens, because is
get so hot) to Cape Horn, or of Rio Plata (River of Silver) to River Plate.
So, while I will admire the flower for its own beauties and give due honor
to Viscount Milton, I will link the flower to our Mr. Milton, and like them
both all the more because of that link.

Adios,

Angelica Duran
Associate Professor