[Milton-L] Re: on-line listing for Wickenheiser Collection

Patrick Scott SCOTTP at gwm.sc.edu
Sat Sep 23 08:56:52 EDT 2006

We have had some inquiries from researchers about specific
titles/editions held in the recently-announced Robert J. Wickenheiser
Collection of John Milton.  We are making good progress on library
cataloging into our on-line catalogue and hence WorldCat, with some six
hundred titles done to date, but it will take a projected approx 18
months to complete this process.  For the meantime, with Dr
Wickenheiser's agreement, we have mounted his preliminary short-title
listing on our web-site, with an introductory head-note explaining how
the list is arranged and what the list covers:
http://www.sc.edu/library/spcoll/britlit/milton/title.html
There are links from this page to an overview of the collection, and to
a pdf of the illustrated brochure for Thursday's announcement and
exhibition opening.  About 120 people gathered for the announcement and
to hear Prof. John T. Shawcross's lecture, which focused especially on
the significance of the Wickenheiser Collection for Milton in the 18th
century.

A description of the collection by Prof.  Roy Flannagan is scheduled
for the October issue of Milton Quarterly.

Those who know Dr. Wickenheiser may also be interested in the story
about the collection that ran in the Columbia newspaper (and, through
AP, elsewhere):
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/15566943.htm
with links to a Photo gallery Images from the Milton collection; Milton
in pop culture; Who was John Milton?; and extracts from 'Paradise Lost'

If the URLs in this email do not transfer to you as live links, please
cut and paste them into your browser, as I have rechecked them this
moring, and they are all to active pages.

Questions (about the collection, not about Milton in pop culture), may
be sent to me at the address below or to Elizabeth Sudduth, Head of
Special Collections Processing and Services: esudduth at gwm.sc.edu

Patrick Scott
Director of Special Collections,
Thomas Cooper Library,