[Milton-L] a query about John Donne

Carmela McIntire carmelamcintire at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 13:13:02 EDT 2006

Hello all,
I hope this query is not against list etiquette. I do
not have access to the John Donne Variorum, and that's
probably where the answer to my question is. In
Donne's Elegy 19, "On His Mistress Going To Bed," the
passage beginning "Full nakedness! All joys are due to
thee..."

I have never seen these lines attributed to another
author as an influence in any of the editions of Donne
that I've used. But recently, in quite another
context, I saw a translation of some lines from
Prudentius Silentiarius, a 6th c AD Greek poet, that
seemed unmistakably to be a source.

I would welcome any help.
Thank you.

Carmela McIntire