[Milton-L] Reference

Jeffrey Shoulson jshoulson at miami.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:00:49 EDT 2006

Angelica,
Some time ago I put out a similar query on Milton-L and received a
number of useful suggestions.  I've compiled a list based on those
suggestions and my own reading, which I now circulate to my graduate
students and upper division undergrads.
Here it is.  Good luck.
Jeffrey Shoulson

Political, Religious and Social History of Britain in the Seventeenth
Century

A Selected Bibliography

Achinstein, Sharon. Milton and the Revolutionary Reader.

Aston, T.H. and C.H.E. Philpin, eds. The Brenner Debate: Agrarian
Class Structure and Economic Development in Pre-Industrial Europe.

Baker, Herschel. The Image of Man: a Study of the Idea of Human
Dignity in Classical Antiquity, the Middle Ages, and the Renaissance.

Barbour, Reid. Literature and Religious Culture in Seventeenth-
Century England.

Brenner, Robert Merchants and Revolution: Commercial Change,
Political Conflict, and London's Overseas Traders, 1550-1663.

Bucholz, Robert and Newton Key, eds. Early Modern England 1485-1714:
A Narrative History.

Burgess, Glenn. The Politics of the Ancient Constitution to English
Political Thought, 1603-1642.

Burns, J. H. and Mark Goldie, eds. The Cambridge History of Political
Thought, 1450-1700.

Coward, Barry.  The Stuart Age:  England, 1603-1714.

Ferrell, Lori Anne. Government By Polemic : James I, the King’s
Preachers, and the Rhetorics of Conformity, 1603-1625.

Fraser, Antonia. The Weaker Vessel.

Gardiner, Samuel Rawson.  History of the Great Civil War. 4 vols.

Hibbert, Christopher.  Cavaliers & Roundheads:  The English Civil
War, 1642-1649.

Hill, Christopher.  A Century of Revolution.

————.  The Experience of Defeat:  Milton and Some Contemporaries.

————.  Milton and the English Revolution.

————.  The World Turned Upside Down.

Keeble, N., ed. The Cambridge Companion to Writing of the English
Revolution.

Kenyon, J. P.  Stuart England.

Kishlansky, Mark.  A Monarchy Transformed:  Britain, 1603-1714.

Lake, Peter with Michael Questier.  The Anti-Christ’s Lewd Hat :
Protestants, Papists and Players in Post-Reformation England.

Lamont, William and Sybil Oldfield, eds. Politics, Religion, and
Literature in the Seventeenth Century.

Lewalski, Barbara K.  The Life of John Milton.

Loewenstein, David and Janel Mueller, eds. The Cambridge History of
Early Modern English Literature.

Masson, David.  Life of John Milton, Narrated in Connexion with the
Political, Ecclesiastical and Literary History of his Time.

McKeon, Michael. The Origins of the English Novel 1600-1740.

Mooers, Colin. The Making of Bourgeois Europe: Absolutism,
Revolution, and the Rise of Capitalism in England, France and Germany.

Ollard, Richard. This War without an Enemy: A History of the English
Civil Wars.

Parry, Graham.  The Seventeenth Century:  The Intellectual and
Cultural Context of English Literature, 1603-1700.

Sharpe, Kevin. Reading Revolutions: the Politics of Reading in Early
Modern England.

Smith, Nigel. Literature and Revolution in England, 1640-1660.

Sommerville, Johann P. Politics and Ideology in England, 1603-1640.

Spurr, John. English Puritanism, 1603-1689.

Trevor-Roper, Hugh.  From Counter-Reformation to Glorious Revolution.

Wedgwood, C. V.  The Great Rebellion. 2 Volumes.

Wood, Ellen Meiksins & Neal Wood. A Trumpet of Sedition: Political
Theory and the Rise of Capitalism 1509-1688

Wood, Ellen Meiksins. The Pristine Culture of Capitalism: A
Historical Essay on Old Regimes and Modern States.