[Milton-L] Lawes' Comus

John Ulreich jcu at email.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 13 14:03:01 EDT 2006

Nancy, Cynthia, & other interested persons:

I'm not expert in this area of Milton studies, but do I have a
Heritage Press edition of Comus that includes the words and music for
five of "The Airs by Henry Laws." Many libraries will have copies of
this volume, I think. I don't have a publication date for this book
(which our library does not have), but it was printed by Brooke
Crutchley for the Cambridge University Press. According to the
introduction, the five songs in the volume are the only ones still extant.

If you cannot readily find another source for the music, I would be
happy to FAX you photocopies of the relevant pages.

Bests wishes,
John Ulreich

P.S. If you do get around to recording a production, I would love to
have a copy.

At 11:53 AM 9/13/2006, you wrote:
>To chime in:
>
>If the sheet music could be located, I'd like to know. I'm planning
>a production which could utilize this music, and it could well be recorded.
>
>Nancy Charlton
>
>At 01:37 PM 9/13/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> >   Hello, one and all,
>> >
>> >   I wonder if I might impose upon your expertise for a
>> >   moment to ask if any of you are aware either of a
>> >   website through which one might listen to samples of
>> >   Lawes' music for Comus performed, or if there is a
>> >   recording/CD out there commercially available of the
>> >   songs from Milton's Masque?
>>
>>I too would be interested - I would like my students to hear
>>the music and even better a performance. They are bright and
>>willing but having a lot of trouble simply reading the
>>shorter poems out loud with understanding and clarity. I'm
>>halting things this afternoon for a workshop on reading out
>>loud, but will want to revisit this when we get to PL.  Any
>>hints and helps would be much appreciated.
>>Cynthia A. Gilliatt
>>English Department, JMU
>>JMU Safe Zones participant
>>"You have made God in your own image when God hates the same people
>>you hate." Fr. John Weston

John C. Ulreich
Professor of English
& Affiliate Faculty in Religious Studies;
Chair, Dean's Advisory Committee, COH;
Faculty Senator for College of Humanities
P.O. Box 210067
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0067
(520) 621-5424