[Milton-L] Visual metaphors of Paradise Lost

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Wed May 31 08:25:56 EDT 2006

Miriam,

Among older studies, visual metaphors are important in Jackson I. Cope, _The
Metaphoric Structure of Paradise Lost_ (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 1962),
e.g. spaciousness as evil, light/dark as heaven/hell.

You also might want to check

Adams, Robert M.  Ikon: John Milton and the Modern Critics.  Ithaca: Cornell
UP,
1955.

Banks, Theodore.  Milton’s Imagery.  New York: Columbia UP, 1950.

Brockbank, Philip.  “‘Within the Visible Diurnal Spheare’: the Moving World of
Paradise Lost.”  Approaches to Paradise Lost.  Ed. C. A. Patrides.  London:
Edward Arnold, 1968.  199-221.

Brooke-Rose, Christine.  "Metaphor in Paradise Lost:  A Grammatical Analysis."
In Language and Style in Milton: A Symposium on the Tercentenary of Paradise
Lost.  Ed. Ronald David Emma and John T. Shawcross.  New York: Frederick Ungar,
1967.  252-303.

Cirillo, A. R.  “Noon-Midnight and the Temporal Structure of Paradise Lost.”
English Literary History 29 (1962): 372-395.

Colie, Rosalie L.  “Time and Eternity: Paradox and Structure in Paradise Lost.”

Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes 23 (1960): 127-38.

Cutts, John P.  “‘The Miserific Vision’: A Study of Some of the Basic Structural
Imagery of ‘Paradise Lost.’” English Miscellany 14 (1963): 57-72.

Di Cesare, Mario.  “Adventr’ous Song: The Texture of Milton’s Epic.”  Language
and Style in Milton: A Symposium on the Tercentenary of Paradise Lost.  Ed.
Ronald David Emma and John T. Shawcross.  New York: Frederick Ungar, 1967.
1-29.

Ferry, Anne Davidson.  Milton’s Epic Voice: The Narrator in Paradise Lost.
Cambridge:  Harvard U P, 1963.

Knott, John R.  “Symbolic Landscape in Paradise Lost.”  Milton Studies 2 (1970):
37-58.

Lawry, Jon S.  The Shadow of Heaven: Matter and Stance in Milton’s Poetry.
Ithaca, New York:  Cornell U P, 1968.

Madsen, William G.  “Earth the Shadow of Heaven:  Typological Symbolism in
Paradise Lost," PMLA 75 (1960).

---. “From Shadowy Types to Truth.”  The Lyric and Dramatic Milton.  Ed. Joseph
Summers.  New York: Columbia U P, 1965.  95-114.Pointon, Marcia R.  Milton and
English Art.  Toronto: U of Toronto P, 1970.

Ryken, Leland.  The Apocalyptic Vision in Paradise Lost.  Ithaca and London:
Cornell U P, 1970.  (Stresses Milton's use of nonvisual, conceptual metaphor.)

Widmer, Kingsley.  “The Iconography of Renunciation: The Miltonic Simile.”
[Originally published in the Journal of English Literary History 25 (1958):
258-69.] Rev. version.  C. A. Patrides, ed.  Milton’s Epic Poetry: Essays on
Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained.  Baltimore:  Penguin, 1969.  121-31.

Cheers,

Jameela

Quoting miriamgi at aol.com:

--