[Milton-L] It ain't exactly Milton ...

Nancy Charlton pluscachange at comcast.net
Sat May 27 10:10:04 EDT 2006

But at least the metaphor is still alive in some pockets of popular
reading. The NY Times today contains this paragraph:

"I suspect that in the not-too-distant future, backyard gardeners
like myself will have the option of planting genetically modified
trees that offer the elusive dream of home-grown organic apples. But
will the apple be offered by a savior or a serpent? As I gown up to
spray my apple trees, donning face mask, hat and boots, I'm thinking
that, like Adam, I may be ready to bite. What's the worst that can happen?"

So the tree in the Garden may go organic, albeit via chemistry and/or
genetic modification.  The full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/27/opinion/27alexander.html?th&emc=th

Frivolous, perhaps, for this list. But it still raises a question
interesting to speculate on: If JM were our contemporary, how would
he view genetic modification? Or even the genetic discoveries
anterior to the modification? Does this belong to the Tree of the
Knowledge of Good and Evil, or to the Tree of Life?

Nancy Charlton