[Milton-L] Areopatigitica

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 14:08:52 EDT 2006

I don't recall your exact question, but doesn't Milton
argue that free expression is necessary for our
individual moral development? In a fallen world, we
know good by knowing evil, and a free press enables us
to contemplate evil and reject it. Of course, there's
the possibility that we might choose evil, but that's
our own free choice and the attractions of evil are
intended to test us by trial, and if we resist (or
fall and learn by bitter experience), then we are
purified of the impurity within us.

Jeffery Hodges

--- Mike Selby <mike at mikeselby.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim:
>
> I can find instances where it would improve English
> society, but not any references to the individual.
>
> Warmly,
> Mike Selby>

University Degrees:

Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley