[Milton-L] Latin inquiries [x-list with Ficino-L]

Josh Scodel jscodel at uchicago.edu
Sat May 20 12:18:52 EDT 2006

Hi,

The first is a loose quotation of Ovid's Ex Ponto I.3.35-6 "nescioqua
natale solum dulcedine cunctos / ducit et inmemores non sinit esse
sui"

The second is the second sentence of City of God 19.15 [the numbers
got transposed by you or Hume)

Josh Scodel

>I'm working on notes for Paradise Lost, books 11-12, and have come
>across a few
>items I can't trace.  I'll appreciate any help.
>
>1.  For 11.270 ("native Soile").  Newton cites a Latin tag, Nescio qua natale
>solum dulcedine tangit/ Humanos animos, but without attribution.  I haven't
>been able to find it in any of my databases.  (If it is in Perseus, I am not
>searching properly--sorry!) Newton, of course, may be citing it incorrectly
>from memory.
>
>2.  For 11.71 ("human left from human free").  Hume cites Augustine’s
>City of God 15.19 as saying, Rationalem factum ad imaginem suam, noluit
>nisi irrationalibus dominari, non hominem homini, sed hominem pecori.
>But there isn't such a statement at that place, nor can I find the lines in
>Patrologia Latina.
>
>With apologies, for cross-listing, thanks.
>
>Jameela
>--
>Jameela Lares, Ph.D.
>Director of Graduate Studies
>Department of English
>The University of Southern Mississippi
>118 College Drive, #5037
>Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
>601 266-6214 ofc
>601 266-5757 fax

Joshua Scodel
Professor of Comparative Literature, English, and Interdisciplinary
Studies in the Humanities
Residential Master, Burton-Judson Courts
Classics 43
1050 East 59th Street
University of Chicago
Chicago, IL  60637