[Milton-L] recordings for blind and dyslexic

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Sun May 14 14:52:54 EDT 2006

I'd initially responded privately to Professor Thickstun's message (thinking
this wasn't directly relevant to Milton-L), but since many of you have blind
and physically handicapped students, perhaps I should let everyone know.
(Would that Milton could have taken advantage of such things!)

The National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped has many fine books on tape that they are "as we
speak" uploading to a website. The intent is that Braille users will be able
to call up various texts online and download them to a reader: I'm not sure
of all of the technical logistics, but it's the Digital Talking Book
Download Pilot Project, which is shortly going to be tested by 100 blind
volunteers (for ease of use, etc.). NLS also produces a number of
Braille/print books, which use facing page text to allow a sighted reader
and a blind reader to follow the text together . . . but I think that only
applies to children's books, at the moment. Anyway, if any of your students
are interested, the Library's website is www.loc.gov. Click on the hyperlink
"Braille and audio materials" from that webpage, or go directly to
http://www.loc.gov/nls/.

That may open up a whole new world of possibilities to young scholars like
Margie's. Whenever I'm involved in anything that supports that project, I
can't help but wonder what a Milton would have done, with such tools to
hand.

Best wishes for a Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers among us, and to
all of the sons and daughters who honor them.

Carol Barton