[Milton-L] RE: Blue Plaque (or lack thereof) for John Milton *LONG*

Dr. Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Mon May 8 15:16:59 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, that is not the issue, Stella. The Rector does not want to approve the content: she wants to dictate the source and theme, and even wanted to divert the money to a music room in Milton's name (confusing him with his father). We have nowhere nearly enough in funding, even for a small window, and nowhere else to turn.

That is why I suggested the alternatives I mentioned.

Believe me, I have done everything I know how to do to resolve the impasse, and get on with the project, since it was initially proposed and the Window designed, as the Committee can attest. We have not even paid the contractor for its work so far (which it graciously has not demanded that we do, being aware of our predicament). I really see no other alternative, under the circumstances--though I will willingly entertain any viable alternative that the donors collectively or individually would like the Committee to pursue.

Thanks for your interest.

Carol Barton

Carol Barton, Ph.D.

With no other privilege than that of sympathy and sincere good wishes, I would address
an affectionate exhortation to the youthful literati, grounded on my own experience.
It will be but short; for the beginning, middle, and end converge to one charge:
NEVER PURSUE LITERATURE AS A TRADE. ...
Samuel Taylor Coleridge, _Biographia Literaria_, ch. 11