[Milton-L] I had to share this

quitslun at ohio.edu quitslun at ohio.edu
Mon May 1 21:06:27 EDT 2006

The Korean explanation may help make sense of a low point in my Renaissaince
lit survey last spring. I was lecturing about the Henrician Reformation, and
Anne Askew's relationship to it, and had been for an embarrassingly long time
when a student raised her hand to ask, "You're talking a lot about Protestants
and Catholics. Weren't there any Christians?"

And no, it was not a critique of the lack of caritas that the Reformation
brought out on all sides.

(Similarly, I have learned that teaching in Ohio there are certain aspects of
medieval devotion, particularly Eucharistic devotion and penance, that I need
to explain early on during the medieval survey. I once reached the end of a
long lecture on the late medieval mass, Corpus Christi processions, and
Lollard objections when a student asked, genuinedly bewildered, "But didn't
they understand that you can only be saved through faith?")

The past is a foreign country.

Beth Quitslund