[Milton-L] I had to share this

carl bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Mon May 1 18:51:10 EDT 2006

Jeffery Hodges wrote:

> Here in Korea, the Protestants refer to Catholics as
> "Catholics" and themselves as "Christians." They
> generally don't know the term "Protestant" but use the
> term "Christian" instead, . . . .
>
> I think this usage is no 'error' but was what Koreans
> were taught by the first Protestant missionaries  . . .
>
> I've been teaching them the 'correct' English
> expression and thereby subverting the previous
> indoctrination process.

Hi Jeffery,

How do your students react to this 'correction?'  Do they take to the idea
of calling themselves "Protestants" rather than "Christians" (assuming that
is what you teach them as the preferred term)?  Years ago I knew quite a few
lovely folks who were Protestant missionaries to Asia and I've always
wondered about this and am trying to imagine how you handle the "Catholic"
problem with your students. It must be tricky to explain to them that those
evangelists and pastors who baptized them and their parents and
grandparents, were at the same time indoctrinating them with a vicious view
of the form of Christianity which dominated (is it fair to say?) most of
Western Eur. History.

And after all, how good a Protestant can one be without at least a moderate
dose of anti-Catholic (or anti-Something) protestation and fervor?  Or is it
your slant to suggest --somehow delicately-- that the essential idea of
"Christianity" itself, whether Catholic or Reformed, is an indoctrination
that needs a deal of "subverting?"

Do you announce "up front" your religious or philosophical leanings when you
teach Milton?

Carl