[Milton-L] I had to share this

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon May 1 14:34:00 EDT 2006

>   Now the students in question may not have been
>   alluding to this in their own assertions,

Not hardly, I'd say, having lived in these here parts for
nigh onto 35 years ...

but their
>   innocent misstatements can be used as helpful
>   teaching moments!

Indeed! That's a good reminder for us all. I think I just
stared at my student, slack-jawed with wonder. "Obstipui," as
my feeble memory recals Aeneas saying - "I stood
thunderstruck!"

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant