[Milton-L] I had to share this

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon May 1 13:21:32 EDT 2006

>My favorite student blooper regarding Milton occurred almost
a decade
>ago in a sophomore World Lit class:
>
>      "Dante was a Catholic.  In contrast, Milton was a
Christian."

>Oh the joys of teaching in the Bible belt!

Yes indeed. Some years ago I taught an honors seminar in
which we read the Aeneid, the Divine Comedy, and Paradise
Lost. One of my students complained that when we left 'that
pagan' [Vergil] we went to a heretic [Dante]. Boy was she
surprised at some of the things she found in PL!

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant