[Milton-L] The Tyrant's plea

John Rumrich rumrich at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jul 30 17:35:57 EDT 2006

Professor Strier is certainly correct to say that the Son plays no
necessary part.  Milton unequivocally asserts in Christian Doctrine
1.5 that even the Son's generation occurs freely, according to the
Father's sovereign freedom.  In PL the character of God insists that
necessity keeps its distance from him, and the Son voluntarily
chooses to do what he will do.  The method of salvation they light
upon is not the necessary one.  It's the one they extemporize, so to
speak.  I don't see the problem with acknowledging this.  Milton
never associates the necessary with the praiseworthy so far as I can
remember.

John Rumrich