[Milton-L] Re: The Prohibition

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Sat Jul 29 20:22:45 EDT 2006

For readers who would  gouge their eyes out before reading another
post on "Directly," Jason Kerr's last post under that title asks for
a discussion of the representations of the prohibition.

One point JK makes is that all of the representations are mediated.
True, but in the account Adam gives to Raphael of his birthday, Adam
renders the Son's prohibition in direct discourse, and entire (8.315
ff)-- of course, his memory might be imperfect. I notice that the Son
explains that Adam won't die immediately upon sinning, a point that
Adam seemingly forgets after the Fall (or maybe he didn't understand
the point). The Son also says a sinning Adam would be expelled from
Paradise, but doesn't the expulsion order come as a shock, especially
to Eve? Did Adam neglect to tell her that part?

Michael Gillum