[Milton-L] Directly

BlevinsJake at aol.com BlevinsJake at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 16:38:52 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/29/2006 2:08:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
jefferyhodges at yahoo.com writes:
And fast by hanging in a golden Chain
This pendant world, in bigness as a Starr
Of smallest Magnitude close by the Moon.
Sorry, I've missed most of this thread, but don't these lines suggest that
"this pendant world" (i.e. the earth) is "close by the moon"? If "this pendant
world" IS the cosmos then wouldn't the moon be part of it? Would it make sense
to say "This pendant cosmos, which is only as big as the smallest star, is
hanging close by the moon"? It seems that the "world" and the moon sit next to
one another...well, like the moon and the earth. Is there another grammatical
reading that I'm missing? I do agree that at this point his perspective of the
"world" would be from quite far away since it does appear so small.

Jake

Jacob Blevins, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Editor, The McNeese Review