[Milton-L] Milton and the crucifixion, etc

Diane McColley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 29 12:17:45 EDT 2006

When the Son is anointed head of the angels he is brought into a closer
relationship to created beings  When Satan rebels he remembers a
previous prophecy in heaven that God intended to create ""another
world, and some new race called Man . . . ."  (Bk. II.345-48).  But the
agent of that creation is the Son, "the omnific Word," who goes forth
with Spirit and with the golden compasses marks the bounds and says
""This be thy just Circumference, O World.  Thus God the Heav'n
created, thus the Earth" [which answers another question).  Book Seven
is all about the work of the Son, called "the Creator" (7.551) and "the
Filial Power" (7. 585.")  That doesn't seem to me nothing to do.  If
you want to say that the Father could have used his own voice to call
each creature into being, rather than sending the Son,  in order to
maintain that the Son's six days' work  is not a necessary role, I
would say argue not the need, it's a matter of not distancing the
natural from the spiritual,  of the Son as related to the lives of all
the creatures from the beginning, a matter of love.