[Milton-L] overt beliefs & reading; the Son's role

Richard Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 29 14:05:22 EDT 2006

Mr. Fleming asks: "What evidence can there be for M's (or any
writer's) "unconsciously critiquing his own overt system of beliefs"?

This is quite a remarkable question in the beginning of the 21st
century, after Freud, deconstruction, and even sophisticated New
Criticism.  That writers -- and other (all?) persons -- may, and
often are, divided in their minds about key issues, or hold
incompatible values, or have beliefs, etc that they may not admit to
themselves should hardly need demonstration.  And that the texts
produced by persons with divided minds, etc should reflect this
situation in ways that are not fully under the control of the writer
should also hardly be surprising.  The evidence for such divisions of
mind, etc are contradictions, inconsistencies, moments were a text
seems to be undermining its overt intentions, etc. -- all of the
things that careful reading, deconstructive or otherwise, turns up.
It's hard for me to believe that any serious reader at this point
believes that texts simply mean what their authors say they mean
(inside or outside the text).  What an author says about what he/she
means may, of course, be  evidence about their overt intention
(assuming the statement is not coerced, etc, etc).  But that's the
most that it is evidence for.  If that's all the evidence one could
use, one wouldn't have to pay attention to details of texts at all.

Also, and I think that politeness and decorum is called for in these
exchanges, please show me, in a calm mode, the "verifiable
erroneousness" of the claim that in the Father's first speech in Book
3 he has already decided that "Man therefore shall find grace"
(because he was "deceived" rather than "self-depraved").  Please show
me that there is any indication in this speech that the Father takes
into account anything other than His own moral sense in making the
decision -- firmly and absolutely, "Man therefore shall" -- that
human salvation will be possible (but fallen angelic salvation not
so).

And, please show me (calmly, again) the "necessary role" of the Son
here or anywhere else in the poem.