[Milton-L] Response to Peter Herman re Judaism

Alan Rudrum rudrum at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 28 20:32:00 EDT 2006

Alan Rudrum wrote:

 >> Thanks to those who responded to my re-posting of the question
concerning Judaism. Peter Herman suggested that if I would consider what
was delivered while standing on one leg, I would probably discover the
answer. But that does not work. Rabbi Telushkin quotes Hillel on the
Golden Rule on p. 121 and the "innovative teachings ascribed to Jesus
[that] diametrically oppose Jewish teachings" on p. 128, adding that
"The Torah commands that one offer the wicked man powerful resistance."

Peter Herman responded:

 > What I meant (and I probably should have said so explicitly, rather
than implicitly) is that according to Hillel, one should treat everyone
as one would want to be treated oneself. This leaves the issue, I think,
up the individual: if one would want to be forgiven, then one must
forgive others. Presumably, most people would want to be treated well,
not badly, and so they should treat others well.  Personally, I am not
aware of any obvious place where "The Torah commands" that one resist
the wicked man, and frankly, I'd like to see the reference.

But Hillel is not reported as having said that one should treat
*everyone* as one would want to be treated oneself.  He is reported as
saying "What is hateful unto you do not do unto your *neighbour." *  I
find the same wording in Leo Trepp, A history of the Jewish experience,
p. 68.  The question of who is a neighbour is of course worth
discussing, as in Luke 10:29ff.

As to places where "The Torah commands" that one resist the wicked man,
Telushkin cites Deuteronomy 17:7 and also remarks that the Torah
approvingly records Moses' killing of a brutal Egyptian overseer who was
beating a Jewish slave.

Again, just about the most enlightening thing (for me) that has come out
of this discussion is the distinction Prof. Shoulson made between
personal enemies and enemies of Israel.

And I should still be glad of a literal translation of the Aramaic
likely to be behind the *teleioi* (AV "perfect") of Matthew 5:48.

Alan Rudrum