[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

Michael Bryson michael.bryson at csun.edu
Fri Jul 28 17:28:30 EDT 2006

An excellent example of the ambivalent meaning you refer to can be found in Richard Baxter's *Aphorismes of Justification* (1649), where he defines justification as "the acquitting of us from the charge of breaking the Law,"  and goes on to argue that "Justification implyeth accusation" (135).  Now, this combination of accusation and acquittal is specifically in reference to the theological doctrine of justification, but I think Milton is taking this doctrine and turning it on its head, so to speak, applying it not to man, but to "the ways of God." I write about this at more length in *The Tyranny of Heaven* (Ch 4).

The resonances of justification as a printing term are interesting, especially as a metaphor for representation...