[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness, "Directly"

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jul 27 21:28:31 EDT 2006

>  [PCH wrote] Satan then looks down "with wonder at the sudden view /
>Of all this World at once" (3.543-44), but by "world," the narrator
>means "th'Earth" (3.528). In sum, when God says that Satan wings his
>way toward "the new created World," the reference is to Earth, not
>the entire universe.

--The description of the "World" that Satan sees from the stairs
sweeps from Libra to Andromeda (3.558-59). He is looking into our
whole cosmos.  There is no mention of Earth or the sun except in a
simile expressing the explorer's relief and delight. Again, the whole
cosmos or "pendent World" (2.1052) was the visual target of Satan's
navigation which the Father described as "Directly toward the new
created World." Earth, with Man placed there, is of course included.

>  [PCH wrote]Third, Satan "scal'd by steps of Gold to Heav'n Gate" (3.542).

--Satan didn't scale the steps; rather the steps scale above him
toward Heaven. He stands on a lower step  and looks through the
aperture to view the interior of our cosmos.

Satan from hence now on the lower stair
That scaled by steps of gold to heaven's gate
Looks down with wonder at the sudden view
Of all this world at once. (3.542-45)

--It is true that  Satan doesn't know  exactly where Paradise is, but
he knows it is within the "pendent World," and he heads there as
directly as he can. I don't see any reason to accuse the Father of
dissembling with the word "directly."

Michael Gillum