[Milton-L] Judaism and Christianity again

Alan Rudrum rudrum at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 27 17:57:15 EDT 2006

Thanks to those who responded to my re-posting of the question
concerning Judaism. Peter Herman suggested that if I would consider what
was delivered while standing on one leg, I would probably discover the
answer. But that does not work. Rabbi Telushkin quotes Hillel on the
Golden Rule on p. 121 and the “innovative teachings ascribed to Jesus
[that] diametrically oppose Jewish teachings” on p. 128, adding that
“The Torah commands that one offer the wicked man powerful resistance.”

Harold Skulsky, I think justly, remarks that it's unclear that the
Golden Rule strictly entails forgiveness to one's enemies. Hillel had
spoken of one’s neighbour. On the other hand, I wonder why (if he does)
Prof. Skulsky sees Matthew 5:38-48 as ambiguous. It is certainly, as
Jesus seems to have noticed in v. 48, a counsel of perfection! Perhaps
the Greek is a little less daunting than the English of the AV version.
What, I wonder, might be a literal translation of the Aramaic behind
what comes out like a bit of Aristotelean teleology in the Greek?

I was interested to read Nancy Rosenfeld’s citation of Exodus 23:4. "If
thou meet thine enemy's ox or his ass going astray, thou shalt surely
bring it back to him." I had found it very striking when looking up
“enemy” in a Concordance the night before reading her post.

Jeffrey Shoulson makes, it seems to me, a valuable distinction between
personal enemies and enemies of Israel; it is personal vendettas that
seem to be addressed in Matthew 5: 21-26, and probably in 5:38-48

So, it might not follow that one could generalize from those injunctions
to pacificism? And the gap at this point between Judaism and
Christianity may not be as wide as might appear at first sight?

Lastly, the following from p. 132 of Telushkin’s /Jewish Literacy/ might
pique the interest of members of this list: “Finally, (the Pharisees)
believed in the somewhat paradoxical notion that human beings have full
freedom of moral choice even though God knows every detail of the future.”

--

Alan Rudrum
Professor Emeritus

www.sfu.ca/~rudrum <http://www.sfu.ca/%7Erudrum>