[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

Jeffrey Wilson jrwilson at uci.edu
Thu Jul 27 16:23:01 EDT 2006

Though Steven Fallon doesn't see in Milton "much in the way of a
sense of mystery, or much in the way of bowing in silence before the
unsearchable," in Christian Doctrine Milton says, "When we talk about
knowing God, it must be understood in terms of man's limited powers
of comprehension. God, as he really is, is far beyond man's
imagination, let alone his understanding" (Chapter II, "of God," p.
1162 in Riverside).

To be sure, Milton holds this belief a priori, in theory, and not
always a posteri, in practice, but to quote Dennis Danielson, "Milton
wrote that."

Jeff Wilson

P.S. Just for the record, on the point of the relationship between PL
and dDC, I agree with nearly everything in Danielson's _Milton's Good
God_ except for the genre classification of _PL_ as a theodicy (a
disagreement more of vocabulary than analysis), the absolute
necessity of Danileson's titular claim (the morality of the Father in
PL is, no doubt, still a very real possibility though), and (with
Professor Fallon) the suggestion that the success of _PL_ as a poem
is coterminous with its success as a theodicy.