[Milton-L] "Directly toward the new created World"

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jul 27 19:03:29 EDT 2006

At the end of Book 2, Satan emerges from Chaos, sees Heaven, "and
fast by hanging in a golden chain / this pendant world [our whole
cosmos] . . . . Thither full fraught with mischievous revenge,
/Accursed, and in a cursed hour, he hies. " So, in my reading, the
Father, speaking at that time, accurately describes Satan's course
"directly toward the new created world." Satan lights directly on the
outside of the sphere, passes through Limbo, and finds the opening at
the base of the stairway to Heaven.

Michael Gillum