[SPAM] Re: [Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

Stephen Fallon fallon.1 at nd.edu
Thu Jul 27 18:56:31 EDT 2006

I don't think that this will work.  I always took
that "new created world" to mean the newly
created universe.  And God does not let Satan in
to heaven to speak with Uriel.  Uriel inhabits
the sun, itself a part of the "new created
world."  Satan does see the sun from the stairs,
but he is not admitted to heaven.

I'm troubled more by the implication that God,
not to be judged cruel, must do everything he can
do to prevent our temptation.  To elaborate on
this, which I lack the time now to do, would
return us to the recent discussion of the meaning
of human freedom.  An omnipotent God could have
prevented the temptation and the fall.  It's not
clear what in such a world the status of free
will would be.

Steve Fallon