[Milton-L] theodicy and critique

Stephen Fallon fallon.1 at nd.edu
Thu Jul 27 17:57:02 EDT 2006

I'd like to register agreement with Dennis, both
on the brilliance of the James Fleming's
distillation of Leibniz and on its
inapplicability to Milton.  Milton is justifying
the ways of God to himself even as he justifies
the ways of God to men.  I don't see much in the
way of "the best of all possible worlds" in
Milton, a formula that fits his Cambridge
Platonist contemporaries who argued, contra the
Milton of DDC, that God had no choice but to
create the world, for creation is better than
non-creation. Milton's reply? "Necesity and
chance approach not me."

Steve Fallon