[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

Diane McColley dmccolley at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 27 12:14:42 EDT 2006

It makes me happy when people don't change Milton's line from  "justify
the ways of God to men " to" justify the ways of God to man" as is so
often done; "man"  is abstract, while "men" (not necessarily a gendered
word in c. 17) suggests individual persons, who make their own
decisions about justification, as we see on this list.