[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

Stephen Fallon fallon.1 at nd.edu
Thu Jul 27 15:01:33 EDT 2006

attributing to his narrator an intention so grossly at odds with his
own covert one.  What would be the percentage in that for him?

I think that Milton did intend to justify the ways of God to men, and
further that that intention, taken seriously, rules out of court the
response--dismissed by Peter Herman--that the God of the poem must be
good because he is God.  For the anti-Arminian Calvinist, God's
actions define the good, and one is damnably presumptuous in raising
the question of whether God is just.  In this context, Milton's
project of theodicy is oppositional.  Nevertheless, it strains
credulity to suggest that Milton wanted us to conceive of God as
mendacious and cruel.  Milton implicitly admitted the logical
possibility of divine malfeasance in taking up the project of
theodicy seriously in the first place.  But as I read the poem Milton
concludes that God is just after all.  Maybe if his criteria for
divine justice were different, he would have concluded differently
(here I'm thinking of Richard Strier, with whom I reluctantly
disagree here).  In any event, as Harold Skulsky suggested a moment
ago, Peter Herman's reference to a "vast amount of evidence within PL
that God is a deeply unsavory character," replaces argument with
assertion.

I know it's been argued that Milton's Father is morally dubious, but
I think Peter Herman goes well beyond the evidence in implying that
any attempt to defend the Father on moral grounds amounts to a kind
of desperate saving of appearances motivated by a kind of
quasi-Calvinist thinking (Milton's God must be good because we know
that God is good, and that's that) that Milton himself rejects.

Whatever one thinks of the argument, Stanley Fish does offer one way
of thinking about the appearance of moral dubiousness in Milton's
Father.  And Dennis Danielson's Milton's Good God offers a still
powerful argument in support of its title.

Steve Fallon