[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

mgrattan at ucsd.edu mgrattan at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 27 11:14:48 EDT 2006

Please allow a supposition from a neophyte in Milton studies. It’s my
understanding that "to justify" had an ambivalent meaning in the sixteenth
and seventeenth centuries.  In the act of justification one could be a
critic of or an apologist for “the ways of God”. An intriguing possibility
seems to me that Milton was both in the poem and his own life, which is to
me much more satisfactory explanation of the often conflicted depiction of
God in PL. A third possibility, and one I’ve been thinking on for a while,
is justification as a printing term. In this sense Milton would be
bringing the seemingly chaotic and incomprehensible ways of God into a
form more accessible "to man", especially if, as Professor Herman notes,
critics were beginning to critique God and the bible. I welcome
justification of any kind to this my first post to the list.
Michael J. Grattan