[Milton-L] Free Will, Forgiveness

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 13:06:02 EDT 2006

Much appreciation for Prof. Herman's reply -- but wouldn't that go
against Milton's stated intent to "justify the ways of God to man?"
How does one justify God's ways to man by presenting God as unsavory,
cruel, and mendacious?  I can accept a deliberate presentation of that
kind of a God given a -different- intent by Milton, but not that one.

My guess would be that the rightness of God was presumed by Milton and
presumed by Milton to also be presumed by his audience, so his
presentation of God was to be read in that light.  The Romantic
rereading of Milton's Satan would then signify a dramatic shift in the
nature of Milton's audience.

But still, my question is sincere.  My guess is just a guess.

I appreciate Jason Kerr's reply too and feel it advances the
discussion well, and look forward to the day his email settings are
tweaked...

Jim R