[Milton-L] Resend of question re Judaism

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 12:55:13 EDT 2006

That's fine, but it wasn't clear to me if you were talking about the
Christ of the Gospels, some historical conception of Christ, or of PL
and PR.  It seemed to me that you were referring to some historical
conception of Christ in your post, as you made no reference to
Milton's work.

I don't think Milton's presentation as described below is congruent
with the Christ of the Gospels -- the Gospels record that Peter
referred to Jesus as "the Christ, the son of the living God" (Matt.
16:16) before his death and resurrection (and Jesus called him blessed
for seeing this), and the Sanhedrin asked him directly if he was the
Christ during his trial (Matt. 26:63).

Assuming that's an accurate representation of PR below (it's been too
long since I've read it to remember now, though I have been rereading
PL), I'm curious what tradition Milton drew from to present Christ in
that way.

Jim R