[Milton-L] Resend of question re Judaism

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 22:23:26 EDT 2006

Again, Cynthia, with all due respect, I would divorce the practices of
individual zealots from the general teachings of the church. People like
Fred Phelps and his "God hates gays" campaign belong (in my estimation) to
the latter--one could make a long list of people persecuted by churchgoers,
starting with the Jews, if he/she were looking at practice vs. doctrine. No
legitimate religion to my knowledge preaches "persecute the gays"--the
non-believers--the "other-than-those-like-us," though zealots of all stripes
pretend to such authorities. I was taught as a child that God loves all who
believe in Him, and who try to follow his commandments--irrespective of
their sexual orientation, or their gender or nationality, or the way they
choose to believe--and as I have aged, I have seen again and again the
validity of that claim.

*People* pervert religion to their own ends, as they have for centuries--and
use the Bible as an excuse for their persecution of others--which is why I
find it difficult to accept organized religion. I think God is far more
tolerant of us than we are of one another . . . and I am sorry that you have
come to equate the evil attitudes you have encountered toward gays and
blacks with "religion."

"Love thy neighbor as thyself" is not an equivocal commandment, subject to
qualification. Neither is "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those
who trespass against us" (another example of "love thy enemy," Alan). Shame
on us, for not understanding the universality of the claim that "all men are
brothers."

Life is far too short for the alternative.

Best to all,

Carol Barton