[Milton-L] Resend of question re Judaism

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Wed Jul 26 16:15:39 EDT 2006

>"Dr. Carol Barton" wrote:
>>
>> Actually, Alan, especially in light of the recent
may be "how many (modern) religions preach hatred of one's
enemies"--active or passive? I suspect that the answer would
be (except for the obvious zealots) "almost none."

Anti-gay hatred is obvious in the fulminations of Fred Phelps
and his Westboro Baptist Church [if you want to call it that -
 it's mostly his extended family] and their "God Hates Fags"
campaign, less so in the more more polite terms of other
denominations ['objectively disordered' - RC Church]. Efforts
to entice gays to 'convert' through ex-gay ministries are
another form of violence.

In the civil roghts museum in Birmingham Alabama one of the
more chilling experiences is the room in which there are
large plexiglass cutouts of figures from the 50s and 60s, and
as you walk through, you trip tape recordings of voices from
the past. Some are obviously hateful - the Bull Connors, the
people screaming the N word - but there are quiet voices of
hatred as well: "Why, the GOOD negrahs don't want to
integrate..." "Our maid Susy isn't like that - she knows her
place." It's the polite and quiet voices of hate that chilled
me, because those are the kinds of voices I grew up among.

Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant