[Milton-L] Human dignity

Richard Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 26 14:06:22 EDT 2006

I think we are now getting to the real heart of things.  As Jim
Rovira's passionate and very intelligent response to my remarks
suggests, there are apparently conflicting values here:  respect for
human dignity versus radical forgiveness.  Let me say a few words
about the respect issue.  First of all, I think it is a real one, and
one that Milton cared about.  Both of my essays on Milton are about
his commitment to classical values.  I do not think, however, that
washing one's hands of someone is showing respect for them.  It is,
as I said, a way of distancing oneself from them, and of giving
oneself a reason to stop caring.  This can be phrased as if it were
"respecting their choices," but I think that that is not what is at
issue.  In my view, the way that one shows both respect and love for
a rational creature that one thinks to be deeply erring is to
continue relationship and engagement with that creature.  This is
what I have (perhaps obscurely) been calling the "Habermasian"
conception of redemption.  It is the failure of continued positive
engagement that is the moral failure, in my view.  One would not
treat one's children that way, if one thought they were acting badly.
And certainly one's concern, in such a case, would not be (or should
not be) in establishing one's own lack of responsibility for their
bad actions.