[Milton-L] Re-send of question re Judaism

Benjamin Myers b.myers at uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 26 10:49:12 EDT 2006

The brilliant modern Jewish theologian Martin Buber offers an
interesting perspective on loving one's enemies. In his influential
book "I and Thou" (1923), he emphasises our responsibility towards
the other, and he argues that "moral judgment" on others is
"abolished forever" through our relatedness to God. Thus I am also
responsible for my enemies: "the 'evil' man is simply one who is
commended to [me] for greater responsibility, one even more needy of
love" (p. 109).

But although this is an interesting and illuminating parallel to the
Christian idea of love for enemies, I doubt that Buber is talking
about "love" in quite the same way as Christian tradition. In fact,
in his book "Between Man and Man" (1947), Buber critiques what he
calls an "altruistic" interpretation of the love of Jesus: "I know no
one in any time who has succeeded in loving every man he met. Even
Jesus obviously loved of 'sinners' only the loose, lovable sinners,
sinners against the Law; not those who ... sinned against him and his
message. Yet to the latter as to the former he stood in a direct
relation" (p. 24).

So for Buber, what seems to matter is a formal "dialogic" relatedness
to one's enemies: one must never allow these "enemies" to become
unrelated to oneself, but must always stand "in a direct relation" to
them. Even if this is not quite the same as what Jesus calls "love",
it is perhaps its basic precondition.

Best wishes,
Benjamin Myers