[Milton-L] Question re Judaism

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 16:04:05 EDT 2006

I'd think the deity of Christ and the doctrine of the trinity would be
major points of disagreement between Jews and Christians as well.  I
attended a synagogue service about 3 years ago and found I could agree
with the entire service, except that I couldn't thank God for being a
Jew.  I was also aware that our shared respect for Abraham came from
different places, and found the respect expressed to the physical text
of the scriptures foreign to me.

Love your neighbor is from Leviticus 19 (I think, or 17).  Love your
enemy is unique to Christ's teaching so far as I know.  The book of
Jonah does anticipate a perception of moral Gentiles as part of,
probably, judgment on sinning Jews, and it's possible that these
particuar Gentiles were political enemies of Israel at the time, but
it doesn't seem to me to be a direct teaching to love one's enemies.

Christ is recorded as saying in the gospels (John), "I am the way, the
truth, and the life.  No one comes to the father but through me."  HIs
view of himself as offering a sacrifice for the sins of the whole
world also implies that he's the only way in.