[Milton-L] Question re Judaism

Carol Barton cbartonphd at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 23 14:51:31 EDT 2006

Alan, since it was Moses to whom YHVH gave the decalogue on Sinai, and the
Hebrews who first received it, I'd say that Jesus' summation of it applies
here:

"Love thy neighbor as thyself": this is the first and greatest commandment,
and the second is like unto it: "Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
with all thy soul, and with all thy might." On these two commandments hang
all the law and the prophets.

(No KJV citation, because that is from memory.)

But all of the commandments that don't relate to one's duties to YHVH
himself reflect one's duties to respect the rights and properties of his or
her neighbors. If that's not love, it sure beats whatever the alternative
is.

Best to all,

Carol Barton