[Milton-L] Question re Judaism

Alan Rudrum rudrum at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 23 11:43:19 EDT 2006

At my age I need to know which kind of cleric to ask for when I hit the
Emergency Ward, so I am trying to figure out the differences between
Christianity and Judaism.  There are some large academic tomes on my
desk, but we are in the midst of a heat wave.

I have what strikes me as a low-level but not entirely useless work
called Jewish Literacy by Joseph Telushkin, and he says there are three
innovative teachings of Jesus diametrically opposed to Jewish teachings:

1. Jesus forgives all sins

2. Judaism does not demand that one love one's enemies.

3. Jesus' claim that people can come to God only through him.

All three on pages 128-129

I suspect that the first and third are claims of the
gospel-writer/editors rather than claims of Jesus - I have yet to be
convinced of the historical accuracy of the gospels, which are
"fanciful" according to one Jewish scholar and theological rather than
historical according to a good many Christian commentators, but I should
like to know if the second statement by Telushkin is correct.

Is there anything in the Hebrew scriptures which suggests that we should
forgive our enemies?

Naturally, I expect you to write your response while standing on one leg.

Alan Rudrum
Professor Emeritus
Department of English
Simon Fraser University