[Milton-L] The irrelevance of Satan's character

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 10:35:38 EDT 2006

Jeffery -- I respect this point of view for its coherence, though I
disagree with it.  Just consider carefully the implications of this
paragraph of yours:

<<The fallen angels never receive this prevenient grace-- possibly
because God forsees (through his middle knowledge, and Milton is this
much a Molinist) that the fallen angels would never seek forgiveness
even if free, so God has no reason to grant them prevenient
grace.>>

Especially this line: "because God forsees...that the fallen angels
would never seek forgiveness even if free."

This thinking is important because it does seem to be reflected in
Milton's text, and ultimately makes God's witholding of prevenient
grace conditional upon the fallen angels' willingness to repent.  This
is not a Calvinist position.  In strict Calvinism, God decrees (and
from the very beginning of creation, before anyone has even existed,
much less acted), end of story.  As creatures we have no choice but to
submit to God's eternal decree, and any complaints about the utter
unfairness of this situation are just further signs of our fallenness
and unwillingness to submit to God.