[Milton-L] Milton as literalist?

Michael Bryson michael.bryson at csun.edu
Sat Jul 22 22:48:53 EDT 2006

Oh, disagreement indeed. I did not intend to suggest otherwise.

"M takes sola scriptura very far indeed. The spirit is necessary, but scripture is what it reads."

I think you underplay the role of the spirit as "the possession of every man." For Milton, in my view, "sola scriptura" would finally privilege the spirit, the text written on the heart of the individual, not the physical/traditional text with which Milton sometimes had a struggle (especially when he wanted to wrest from it a particular meaning--the arguments on divorce, for example).

"Ms discussion in DDC has to do with _continuity_ of the scriptural text."

In part, but not solely. The continuity is primarily continuity of the *physical* text. I think you are eliding his more radical implication about the relation between that text and the spirit-written "text" in the heart.

"His Neoplatonism, in my view, is ethical rather than exegetic."

Hmmm, interesting, but I do not see it as an either/or for him. In fact, I see it as having ethical, exegetic, and metaphysical elements (all of which appear in the poetry).

"I will be arguing these and related points in a book."

I look forward to it...

Michael Bryson