[Milton-L] Satan and forgiveness

Susan McDonald susanjmcdonald at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 04:58:30 EDT 2006

Reading John Leonard's post pushed me from lurkdom.
(Hi John!)

Satan's Bk. IV soliloquy delineates between what he
*could* do and what he *would* do.

"But say I could repent and could obtain.
By act of grace my former state; how soon
Would heighth recall high thought, how soon unsay
What feigned submission swore: ease would recant
Vows made in pain . . . ."

Satan expresses self-knowledge; his knowledge of his
ability to repent  is eclipsed by his knowledge of his
inability to, dare I say, perform a good act of
contritition.

So, forgiveness, for Satan, is moot because of his own
inability to follow through (much like my golf swing).

Susan McDonald
Sessional Lecturer
Dept of English
University of Saskatchewan