[Milton-L] Re: Stella Revard, Rose Williams, and God as tyrant

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 21:37:35 EDT 2006

To Stella Revard: As always, I welcome the correction. I was of coursefamiliar with the Cronos story, but I am not familiar with Pindar'sPythian 1. I cede to your greater knowledge, and I'll add the Pindarto the Borgesian library that my reading list seems to have become.The erudition on display in the recent discussions has been at oncethrilling and daunting.
To Rose Williams: the distinction between Jupiter and Zeus isinteresting. I wonder if Milton's portrayal of the Father derives morefrom the pre-Etruscan numinous god ("majestic, extremely powerful, andslightly dull") than from Zeus. Are there relevant literary sources,and could Milton have known them? Does the text of PL bear upassertions of their relevance? Of course, apropos Prof. Revard's pointabout the war in heaven and the overthrow of Cronos, Milton probablywould have seen the influence flowing the other way, i.e., that the"pagan" gods were shadowy remnants of the "true" God. But I think thequestion is a fair one to ask if its terms are limited to literaryrepresentation.
Jason A. Kerr