[Milton-L] Re: Milton-L Digest, Vol 33, Issue 23

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 21 15:11:03 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:19:04 -0700 (PDT) milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:

> You just commented that, in your view, Milton was "a very strong
> literalist." I think that explains why we seem to be coming from
> opposite points of view in much of this recent discussion. I think
> that the Milton who emphasizes the spirit as the preeminent
> interpretive authority in reading scripture, while also emphasizing
> the textual corruptions of scripture, and sewing neoplatonic themes
> into his poetry (the mechanics of descent and return seem clear to me
> in Paradise Lost, and also seem to me to play an important role in
> Paradise Regained) is less inclined to be an interpretive literalist
> than you are positing and arguing for here (especially in relation to
> a tradition of "orthodox Augustinian literalism"--though that was an
> important part of Lewis' view of Milton). We're looking at the same
> Milton and seeing two very different figures, it seems.

Yes. But this is disagreement, rather than agreement to disagree. In Of Ref,
AP, Civil Power, and DDC, M takes sola scriptura very far indeed. The spirit
is necessary, but scripture is what it reads. Ms discussion in DDC has to do
with _continuity_ of the scriptural text. His Neoplatonism, in my view, is
ethical rather than exegetic. Etc.

I will be arguing these and related points in a book.

I agree that the recent discussions have been very useful. J