[Milton-L] (re)consideration

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 21 12:20:19 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:33:00 -0700 milton-l at lists.richmond.edu wrote:
> Is it possible that in between 1641, when Milton published ORE, and 1667,
> when he published PL, that is to say, over the course of 26 years, Milton
> may have reconsidered the matter?
>
> Peter C. Herman

Sure, Peter. But analogously, in DDC: “It is amazing what nauseating
subtlety, not to say trickery, some people have employed in their attempts
to evade the plain meaning of these scriptural texts. They have left no
stone unturned; they have followed every red herring they could find; they
have tried everything” (CP 6VI218). It is in this spirit that Milton offers
his long, patient, and logical rejection of the consubstantiality of Son and
Father (VI.211-212). Even grammar must be saved from esoteric abuse: “nor
should we believe in something which has to be lured out from among articles
and particles by some sort of verbal bird-catcher, or which has to be dug
out from a mass of ambiguities and obscurities like the answers of an
oracle. Rather, we should drink our fill from the clearest fountains of
truth. For this open simplicity, this promised clarity of doctrine, is what
makes the gospel superior to the law” (VI.246).

JDF