[Milton-L] The irrelevance of Satan's character

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 11:20:40 EDT 2006

The passage I had in mind seems to indicate that the state of
obduratio cordis was one freely chosen by Satan, and explains the
reasoning behind this state: should Satan repent, he would just fall
again, and worse: Satan knows this, so for his part he chooses not to
repent, and of course the Father knows this, so for his part, he
chooses not to allow him to repent. I'm not debating the existence of
this condition, but explaining its source.  I think the postulation of
human and Satanic freedom is part of Milton's justification of the
ways of God to men.

Jim R