[Milton-L] Hell, Satan, Forgiveness, Origen, etc.

jfleming at sfu.ca jfleming at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 21 07:48:47 EDT 2006

My main reason for thinking Origen irrelevant is his exegetic reputation as
arch-allegorist. He is notorious, for example, for proposing that, in
Genesis, "trees" (or perhaps it is "rivers") means "angels." He thus serves
early-modern commentators as the prime example of how Catholic bible-reading
went astray, during its thousand or so years of darkness, from orthodox
Augustinian literalism. Now Milton, in my view, is a very strong literalist.
I therefore think it very unlikely that invoking Origen re: PL is
illuminating or plausible.

Browne likes him (or rather, did, maybe, once, but not now, maybe, or
something) because Browne likes everybody (as before). A lovely position;
but not Milton's.

JD Fleming