[Milton-L] Re: God as tyrant

rose williams rwill627 at cox.net
Fri Jul 21 09:15:00 EDT 2006

Jupiter  (Jove in the objective and possessive cases) or Jove Pater, the
supreme god of the Roman pantheon, was somewhat different from Zeus. At the
founding of Rome, the gods were 'numina', divine manifestations, faceless,
formless, but very powerful. The idea of gods in human form came later, with
the influence from Etruscans and Greeks. The Poet Ennius in the 3rd Century
bc lists as most honored by the Romans a group of twelve Gods called Dii
Consentes: Iuppiter, Iuno, Minerva, Vesta, Ceres, Diana, Venus, Mars,
Mercurius, Neptunus, Volcanus, and Apollo. Their gilt statues stood in the
Forum, later apparently in the Porticus Deorum Consentium. They were
probably the twelve worshipped in 217 bc at a lectisternium, which
tongue-twisting term means a banquet of the gods at which the statues of the
gods were put upon cushions and were offered meals. Although the Etruscans
also worshipped a main pantheon of 12 Gods, the Dii Consentes were not
identified with Etruscan deities but rather with the Greek Olympian Gods.
The twelve Dii Consentes were lead by the first three, Jupiter, Juno, and
Minerva. These form the Capitoline Triad whose rites were conducted in the
Capitoleum Vetus on the Capitoline Hill. Though he shared the great
Capitoline temple with Juno and Minerva, but Jupiter was the most prominent
of the three. Jupiter, or Jove Pater, in classical times corresponded in
many aspects to Zeus. Like Zeus he wielded the lightning bolt, and the eagle
was both his symbol and his messenger. In addition to being the ruler of the
sky, he was also the protector of the state and its laws. As Jupiter Victor
he led the Roman army to victory, and was the protector of the Latin League
(an ancient confederation of Italian city-states independent but bound
together by the necessity of defending themselves against their various
enemies).  Before the eyebrow-raising stories about Zeus were added to his
biography, he was a very majestic, extremely powerful, and slightly dull
father figure.
Rose Williams