[Milton-L] Re: Steve Fallon and "ordained"

Jason Kerr aelfric at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 20:15:23 EDT 2006

I suppose my thoughts on tyranny align me, via Stella Revard's postscript,
with Steve Fallon (with whom I must say I am pleased to be aligned). The
decision of Satan and his minions to attempt proving their equality by might
necessitates the Father's "ordination" of Hell. While the Father alone
ordains in this case, the freedom of his creatures to ordain their fates
leads to the basis for his action. In other words, in a universe where none
but God ordains, what he ordains is arbitrary, not in the sense of random,
but in the sense that his choice, the action of his arbitrium, becomes the
sole basis for what happens. The use of "ordain" in Book 3 pointed out by
Steve introduces contingency to this universe, which I must agree colors
other uses of "ordain" in PL.

Steve: I trust my directness correctly reflects your admitted indirection?

Jason A. Kerr
Boston College

Message: 4

--
"Den som vover mister Fodfæste et Øieblick;
den som ikke vover mister Livet."